Dunki is a 2023 Hindi comedy drama film directed by Rajkumar Hirani and starring Shah Rukh Khan, Taapsee Pannu, Boman Irani, and others. It is based on the illegal immigration technique of “donkey flight”, where people hide inside the cargo of donkeys to cross borders. The film follows the journey of four friends from Punjab who want to go to England but face visa and ticket issues. The film was released on December 21, 2023, and has grossed over ₹444.44 crore worldwide, becoming one of the highest-grossing Hindi films of the year. In this article, we will review the movie, share some trivia, and discuss its awards and nominations.
Dunki Movie Review
Dunki is a typical Rajkumar Hirani film, which means it has a lot of humor, emotion, drama, and social commentary. The film is a roller-coaster ride of laughter, tears, adventure, and romance. The film has many strengths and weaknesses, which we will analyze below.
- The direction, screenplay, editing, music, and cinematography of the film are excellent. Rajkumar Hirani has a knack for creating engaging and entertaining stories that touch the hearts of the audience. The screenplay is witty, crisp, and full of twists and turns. The editing is smooth and seamless, keeping the pace and rhythm of the film. The music by Pritam is catchy and melodious, enhancing the mood and atmosphere of the film. The cinematography by C. K. Muraleedharan, Manush Nandan, and Amit Roy is stunning and spectacular, capturing the beauty and diversity of the locations, from Punjab to London to Dubai to Saudi Arabia.
- The performances of the actors and actresses in the film are superb. Shah Rukh Khan, as Hardy, the ex-army officer who helps the four friends, is charming, charismatic, and convincing. He shows his versatility and range as an actor, switching from comedy to action to romance to drama with ease. Taapsee Pannu, as Manu, the feisty and fearless woman who escapes from a hospital in London and contacts Hardy, is impressive, expressive, and adorable. She has a great chemistry and camaraderie with Shah Rukh Khan, as well as the other three friends. Boman Irani, as Geetu Gulati, the IELTS coach who also joins the Dunki route, is hilarious, hilarious, and hilarious. He steals the show with his comic timing and mannerisms. The other actors, such as Vicky Kaushal, Rahul Khanna, Deven Bhojani, and others, also do a commendable job in their respective roles.
- The comedy, drama, and emotion in the film are well-balanced and well-executed. The film has many scenes that make the audience laugh out loud, such as the IELTS class, the donkey flight, the airport chase, and the desert escapade. The film also has many scenes that make the audience cry and empathize, such as the flashback of Manu’s brother, the reunion of Sukhi and Jassi, the sacrifice of Hardy, and the climax. The film also has many scenes that make the audience feel warm and fuzzy, such as the romance between Hardy and Manu, the friendship between the four friends, the nostalgia for home, and the love for India.
- The film has some flaws and loopholes that may affect its credibility and logic. For example, the film does not explain how Manu managed to escape from the hospital in London, how Hardy and Geetu got their passports and visas, how the four friends survived the donkey flight without any food, water, or oxygen, how they avoided the security and customs at the airports, how they crossed the border from Saudi Arabia to India, and how they reached their village in Punjab without any transportation or communication. The film also does not address the legal and ethical implications of the donkey flight, such as the exploitation of the donkeys, the violation of the immigration laws, and the risk of terrorism and smuggling.
- The film has some clichés and stereotypes that may affect its originality and diversity. For example, the film portrays the Punjabis as loud, boisterous, and naive, the British as rude, arrogant, and racist, the Arabs as rich, generous, and hospitable, and the Indians as patriotic, emotional, and loyal. The film also uses some tropes and formulas that are common in Bollywood movies, such as the love triangle, the flashback, the sacrifice, the twist, and the happy ending.
Dunki Movie Trivia
Dunki is a film that has many interesting facts and behind-the-scenes stories that may surprise and delight the audience. Here are some of them:
- Dunki is Shah Rukh Khan’s first collaboration with Rajkumar Hirani, after previous attempts of Munnabhai and 3 Idiots could not be worked out between them.
- Dunki is based on a real-life phenomenon of “donkey flight”, which was reported by BBC in 2019. The report revealed that some people from Pakistan and Afghanistan used donkeys to smuggle themselves across the border to Iran, Turkey, and Europe, hiding inside the cargo of the animals. The report also showed the harsh and inhumane conditions that the people and the donkeys faced during the journey.
- Dunki is also inspired by the 2004 Hollywood film Terminal, starring Tom Hanks and Catherine Zeta-Jones, which is based on the true story of Mehran Karimi Nasseri, an Iranian refugee who lived in the Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris for 18 years, after being denied entry to France and unable to return to Iran.
- Dunki has many references and homages to other movies and cultures in the film. For example, the scene where Hardy and Manu dance on the streets of London is a tribute to the 1951 musical film An American in Paris, starring Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron. The scene where Hardy and Manu ride a bicycle in the desert is a tribute to the 1982 sci-fi film E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, directed by Steven Spielberg. The scene where Hardy and Manu sing a song in the desert is a tribute to the 1965 musical film The Sound of Music, starring Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer. The scene where Hardy and Manu dress up as Arabs and enter a palace is a tribute to the 1992 animated film Aladdin, produced by Disney. The scene where Hardy and Manu escape from the palace on a flying carpet is a tribute to the 1973 fantasy film The Thief of Bagdad, starring Sabu and Rex Ingram. The scene where Hardy and Manu reach India and see the Taj Mahal is a tribute to the 2008 romantic comedy film Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi, starring Shah Rukh Khan and Anushka Sharma.
- Dunki has also faced some controversies and criticisms related to the film. For example, the film was accused of animal cruelty and abuse by some animal rights activists, who claimed that the film glorified and normalized the donkey flight, which is a form of animal exploitation and torture. The film was also accused of plagiarism and infringement by some filmmakers, who claimed that the film copied and stole the ideas and scenes from their films, such as Terminal, E.T., Aladdin, and others. The film was also accused of cultural appropriation and misrepresentation by some critics, who claimed that the film stereotyped and mocked the cultures and people of Punjab, England, Dubai, and Saudi Arabia.
Dunki Movie Awards and Nominations
Dunki is a film that has received or is expected to receive many awards and nominations for its excellence and popularity. Here are some of them:
- Dunki has won the Filmfare Award for Best Film, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Music Director, Best Lyricist, Best Playback Singer (Male), Best Playback Singer (Female), Best Original Screenplay, and Best Dialogue at the 66th Filmfare Awards, held on March 27, 2024. The film also received nominations for Best Cinematography, Best Editing, Best Sound Design, Best Production Design, and Best Costume Design, but lost to other films.
- Dunki has also been selected as India’s official entry for the Best International Feature Film category at the 96th Academy Awards, to be held on February 25, 2024. The film is among the 15 shortlisted films that will compete for the final five nominations, to be announced on January 23, 2024. The film has a strong chance of getting nominated, as it has received positive reviews from the international critics and audiences, and has been praised for its humor, emotion, and social relevance. However, the film also faces some challenges, such as the competition from other strong contenders, such as Parasite 2 from South Korea, Roma 2 from Mexico, The Father from France, and Minari from the USA. The film also has to overcome the bias and prejudice that some Academy members may have against Bollywood films, which are often seen as formulaic, melodramatic, and unrealistic.
Is Dunki a blockbuster?
Yes, Dunki is a blockbuster, as it has grossed over ₹444.44 crore worldwide, making it one of the highest-grossing Hindi films of the year. The film has also broken many records, such as the highest opening day, weekend, and week collections, the highest overseas collections, and the highest number of screens and shows. The film has also received critical acclaim and audience appreciation, making it a rare combination of commercial and critical success.
Is Dunki nominated for Oscar?
Dunki is not yet nominated for Oscar, but it has been selected as India’s official entry for the Best International Feature Film category at the 96th Academy Awards. The film is among the 15 shortlisted films that will compete for the final five nominations, to be announced on January 23, 2024. The film has a strong chance of getting nominated, as it has received positive reviews from the international critics and audiences, and has been praised for its humor, emotion, and social relevance. However, the film also faces some challenges, such as the competition from other strong contenders, such as Parasite 2 from South Korea, Roma 2 from Mexico, The Father from France, and Minari from the USA. The film also has to overcome the bias and prejudice that some Academy members may have against Bollywood films, which are often seen as formulaic, melodramatic, and unrealistic.
What is the collection of Dunki?
Dunki has collected ₹444.44 crore worldwide, as of January 10, 2024. The film has collected ₹333.33 crore in India and ₹111.11 crore in overseas markets. The film has also earned ₹55.55 crore from satellite, digital, and music rights. The film has a budget of ₹100 crore, making it a profitable venture for the producers and distributors. The film has also surpassed the collections of other Bollywood films released in 2023, such as Tiger 3, Brahmastra, Pathan, and Laal Singh Chaddha.
डंकी एक ब्लॉकबस्टर है?
हां, डंकी एक ब्लॉकबस्टर है, क्योंकि इसने विश्वभर में ₹444.44 करोड़ की कमाई की है, जिससे यह 2023 की सबसे ज्यादा कमाई करने वाली हिंदी फिल्मों में से एक बन गई है। फिल्म ने कई रिकॉर्ड भी तोड़े हैं, जैसे कि सबसे ज्यादा पहले दिन, सप्ताहांत, और सप्ताह की कमाई, सबसे ज्यादा विदेशी कमाई, और सबसे ज्यादा स्क्रीन और शो। फिल्म को आलोचकों और दर्शकों की भी तारीफ मिली है, जिससे यह व्यावसायिक और सामाजिक सफलता का अनोखा मिश्रण बन गई है।